[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
IMWA — Mine Water Forum • View topic - Small scale hydroelectric

Small scale hydroelectric

Hydrogeology, hydrology, pumping, and water flows

Moderators: Ruth Warrender, Andy Barnes

Small scale hydroelectric

Postby Andy Barnes » 2010-10-13, 19:54

I know this is not strictly mining related. However.......

The other day I attended a sustainable energy fair in my home town. One of the most appealing and seamingly efficient sustainable energy example on show was community scale hydroelectric. However, the person on the stall explained that one of the biggest barriers to setting up a system was the cost of implementing a Environmental and Social Impact Assessment. The ESIA example here cost the community nearly £20,000 when the cost of setting up the system was between £5,000 and £10,000. Seems rediculous :? .

I think for governments to make implementation of these sorts of systems more finacially viable by somehow targeting sites and undertaking ESIA in bulk or by sharing ESIA costs with the communities involved would really see these things take off.

I would be very intrested in hearing any thoughts or UK or non-UK examples of these sorts of projects and any government led initiatives to setting them up?

Also, to relate this back to mine-water, has any one heard of these systems being installed on mine discharges and their effectivness, resistance to fouling up, use for supplying power to treatment systems etc

Andy
Mine Water Enthusiast!
Andy Barnes
Site Admin

Re: Small scale hydroelectric

Postby Chris Wolkersdorfer » 2010-11-04, 03:43

I don't know of such a system on a current mine site - but I know that e.g. in Germany or in Canada or in Slovenia you need to go through a long process of permitting before you can install such a system. I agree with you it seems ridiculous and I don't understand why this is necessary - but you and I we might miss some information from the authorities why those systems are that much restricted by regulations.

Chris
Towards the
Chris Wolkersdorfer
Site Admin

Return to Hydrodynamics